Rules for Getting on the Bus Safely
- Be at the stop on time. Never run to or from the bus.
- Wait at your designated stop in a safe place, well back from the side of the road.
- Remember never to stand in the danger zone that surrounds the bus. The danger zone is anywhere close enough for you to touch the bus. The bus driver cannot see you when you are in the danger zone.
- If you need to cross the street to get on the bus, always wait until the bus has come to a complete stop. Look for the stop arm to come out and for the flashing red lights. Watch the driver. When the driver is assured that all traffic has stopped he/she will signal for you to cross the street – but continue to watch for traffic yourself. Always walk, don’t run.
- Hold the handrail as you get on the bus. Do not push or shove.